Joan Ryan MP has hailed the success of the China Business Seminar held in her constituency, after representatives from a host of Enfield companies attended the event.
On Friday, 2nd December I organised a China Business Seminar to help local businesses identify potential export opportunities and support jobs in Enfield.
The event was held in conjunction with the China-Britain Business Council and was also attended by experts in the field, including John Pearson – Deputy Head of the China desk at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. They provided a wealth of information and insight into the current political environment in China and how to do business there.
I’m really keen to see Enfield businesses grow and create new jobs, so the China Business Seminar was a great way to help local companies identify potential export opportunities in China.
Given China is ranked fourth on the list of destinations for UK goods exports last year, with exports valued at over £18 billion, the seminar provided a unique chance for more than 15 local businesses to learn more about the opportunities and support services that exist for small and medium sized enterprises looking to do business in and with China.
Brexit is posing some huge challenges for businesses, and we’re facing uncertain times. But the prospects for local businesses to access the huge Chinese market and to benefit from Chinese investment have never been greater.
The seminar showcased some of the very best companies Enfield has to offer and provided really helpful, practical advice.
I am very grateful to the China-Britain Business Council for helping to organise this event and to Siemens in Enfield for agreeing to host.
- The agenda for the seminar can be found here.
- The event was held at on Friday 2nd December, from 9:00am-11:00am, at the Siemens depot, Unit 2, Delta Park Industrial Estate, Millmarsh Lane, Enfield, EN3 7QJ.
- The Speakers for the event were as follows:
- Rt. Hon Joan Ryan MP, Labour Member of Parliament for Enfield North;
- John Pearson, Deputy Head - China Department, Foreign and Commonwealth Office;
- Mark Hedley, China Business Adviser, China-Britain Business Council;
- Mike Jackson, Siemens’ Regional Manager for London;
- Despina Johnson, CEO of North London Chamber of Commerce & Enterprise and Enterprise Enfield;
- Cllr. Alan Sitkin, Enfield Council Cabinet Member for Economic Regeneration & Business Development.
- The China-Britain Business Council (CBBC) helps British and Chinese businesses and work together in China, the UK and other markets around the world. They have over 60 years of experience and work alongside the British Chamber of Commerce in China to support companies of all sizes and sectors, regardless of their exporting experience, to realise the full potential of what remains one of the fastest-growing market in the world.
- Joan Ryan MP is a member of the All Party Parliamentary China Group (APPCG). The APPCG was established in 1997 to widen the parliamentary contribution to the general UK-China bilateral relationship. It exists as a platform for discussions on all issues of importance to the bilateral relationship, and in 2006 signed an MOU with its counterpart organisation in the Chinese National People’s Congress, establishing regular exchanges to facilitate closer dialogue and deepen understanding between the Parliaments of both countries. The APPCG has over 300 members from both Houses of Parliament.