Joan Ryan MP is seeking to ensure that Enfield has a plan for at least 84 more GPs in Enfield by 2020, as recommended by the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP).
Click here to sign my petition calling for 84 more GPs in Enfield by 2020.
Have your say here and tell me about your experiences of booking an appointment and seeing a doctor at a GP surgery in Enfield, in order to make the case to government to better support local primary care services.
In late 2013, when the Conservative-led government was axing Chase Farm Hospital’s Accident and Emergency Department, the then Prime Minister, David Cameron, said “Enfield is getting an increase in primary care funding. That is part of our plan of not cutting but expanding our NHS.”
Well, the facts speak for themselves and right now people in Enfield who need to see a GP are facing an acute appointments crisis. The government’s broken promises have left our NHS on its knees. We desperately need more GPs in Enfield and better funding for and better management of our local health services.
The sorry state of our NHS is a major concern for local residents. When I was elected I gave a commitment to be a campaigning MP, speaking up for the needs of Enfield. My petition and survey will be a really useful means to engage and work together with the local community on this important issue and to show the government the strength of our community’s desire to protect vital primary care services in the Borough.
- The RCGP press release on the new league table revealing GP shortages across England can be found here: http://www.rcgp.org.uk/news/2015/february/new-league-table-reveals-gp-shortages-across-england.aspx.
- The league table can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Vav1C202vnWVFkQUZ2ZG5uckk/view?usp=sharing.
- The methodology for estimating the number of GPs can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Vav1C202vnM1gtbkpuV1pHX3c/view?usp=sharing.
- The table for the House of Commons Library figures on GPs headcount per head of population for Enfield and London, from 2010 to 2015, is included in the attached pdf. Figures for 2016 will not be published until April 2017.
- Enfield population statistics can be viewed here: http://www.enfield.gov.uk/healthandwellbeing/info/13/enfield_people/3/numbers_and_projections
- In terms of GP closures, between 2010 and 2014 a total of 12 GP practices closed in the Enfield area and 1 practice opened (see: WPQ 207684). The latest NHS HSCIC data downloads on GP practices (correct as of June 2016) do not show any further closures of GP practices in Enfield since 2014: http://systems.hscic.gov.uk/data/ods/datadownloads/gppractice
Joan Ryan MP is seeking to ensure that Enfield has a plan for at least 84 more GPs in Enfield by 2020, as recommended by the Royal College of...